AnySoftKeyboard language packs / layouts plans?

Forums Apps AnySoftKeyboard language packs / layouts plans?

This topic contains 32 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  mecinus 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Ildar

We have AnySoftKeyboard in the repo which is very good on its own.
    But as ASK supports extending through “language packs” or “layouts”, are there any plans to add those?

I image it’s a huge task though…

daithib8

I looked into it when I was adding the keyboard itself and it seemed to be difficult enough. But once one is figured out they probably will all be easy. We have Any soft api library as a srclib which is used in all keyboards. The problem is that there is only “source” for a couple of keyboards that I can see and more are probably scattered around the place. However the main bit as I understand is XML which can easily be extracted so somebody could collect them all feasibly and put them in one git repo.

Ildar

Technically speaking a language pack created with the howto from a template is built easily. E.g. see my comment @ Mar 29, 2012 on the howto page

As for elaborating tens of packs it’s no easy job, I think.

daithib8

I discovered how to build the binary dictionaries and it was actually a bit tricky. The technique can be seen in the anysoft app metadata because there is an English dictionary by default. I also posted an RFC in the app’s issue tracker.

daithib8

The ideal way for building dictionaries is to go via the LanguagePack example repo on github. Building just dictionaries with this method is complicated though, so Ill stick with the old script used in anysoftkeyboard app for fdroid build. The LanguagePack custom_rules.xml calls the Tools repo, to build dictionaries. I had difficulty building the language pack but Ive put the recipe in fdroiddata under com.anysoftkeyboard…

Ildar

Sorry for the delay.
    Thinking better I start to doubt that it is worth it. I mean lang.packs are generally very poor in code having mostly data. So BUILDING it has a little value IMO.
    I am very sorry that I raised this topic resulting in waste of your time. Very sorry.

daithib8

I wouldn’t say it’s a waste of time, although I did spend a fair amount on it. We have many useful recipes that we can’t distribute because of various reasons.

daithib8

The layout pack template recipe is now functional and we will accept any packs that are built from source, but it wouldn’t be a top priority for us

daithib8

Ive removed the example recipe and added recipes for Hungarian and Russian. Only the former is enabled because it is among the very few that has a licence and words.xml (dictionary source code). The former uses its own repo asa base; the latter uses the example pack repo as a base. Two different approaches.

daithib8

The dictionaries are more here http://code.google.com/p/softkeyboard/source/browse/trunk/DictionaryTools/ if anybody wants to have a go. There are licences for uk, ka, lt and en though the rest are probably similar in being extracted from Wikipedia according to the instructions on the wiki.
    Lado Kumsiahvili’s words and keyboards are there, but he said he will put them in GH language pack repo for next releases.

daithib8

There are also dictionaries in binary form (with sources though) scattered around the issue tracker and interesting discussion about how to make a good word list that reflects modern usage.
    But unless we can get the original wordlist from the author. learn to decompile them or make a new one they can’t be included

So Czech, Bulgarian, Finnish Italian, Latvian, Slovak and Swedish have both decent dictionaries and general source code, but the provenance of the list may require some detective work. The large Bulgarian , at 13MiB is probably too large! Ukrainian dictionary exists but keyboard xml may have to re-constructed from the issue tracker.

Of course, if word lists can be created for the rest we can consider them.

csolisr

After a great effort, I finally downloaded a dump of Wikipedia in Spanish and made a wordlist out of it. However, I don’t find the programs to turn it into a binary dictionary (or, at least, the documentation was lost with the move to GitHub). Also, I don’t know how to make the keyboard files either. I already warn that the full process takes more or less 25 GB of space, however. I’ll try to upload it somewhere soon.

daithib8

We would base our recipe on http://code.google.com/p/softkeyboard/source/browse/trunk/LanguagePacks/Spain and copy the fdroiddata recipe of a similar one like https://gitorious.org/f-droid/fdroiddata/blobs/master/metadata/com.anysoftkeyboard.languagepack.catalan.txt . This recipe makes use of the makedict.jar on Github: https://github.com/AnySoftKeyboard/AnySoftKeyboardTools. Dictionaries.xml must be patched to use the new tools format and to contain name of dictionary creator.

So we can either incorporate the wordlist as a gzipped xml file in the fdroiddata repository or you could submit the entire repo as a branch to the ASK language pack repo like https://github.com/AnySoftKeyboard/LanguagePack/tree/Ukrainian

csolisr

Sorry for my ignorance, but how am I supposed to run the makedict.jar to generate the es_binary.mp3? (The documentation for that was lost with the transition to GitHub, it seems.) And second, how do I gain the permissions to upload to a branch of ASK or to the FDroid repositories?

daithib8

See the Catalan example (which I tweaked yesterday): run java -jar makedict.jar.The “srclibs” metadata are in fdroiddata/srclibs and the patch is in another file but otherwise all the info is there.

There is a sticky in this forum with instructions on how to use git. It’s the same on GitHub as on Gitorious: you push to your fork, then you request a merge (or pull as github call it).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Apps’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Posted in