Please do not drop Firefox support!

Forums Apps Please do not drop Firefox support!

This topic contains 48 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  krt 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Ildar

fennec 44 is in the archive. works from what i can tell…

That’s great! Installed, I’ll use it for some time on two devices.
    One small question: why in archive?

krt

Because people tend to not read the description, especially if it’s like “The app (or some of the builds) might get
    removed or re-pushed at anytime: DO NOT INSTALL unless you know what you are doing!”, and then blame people if things break or dont get updated in time. Sigh… I especially loved the thing when people started to talk about it on reddit and twitter etc., instead of just asking us directly…sigh.

Well, I thought the build process was converging to a state where updating is at easy as bumping the versionname, -code and tag and moved it to the public once… boy was I wrong. While the current build should be easier to maintain (small fixes on my side, but basically offloading all work on Mathias), I dont think it is ready for primetime. I really think, Fennec needs a proper maintainer that follows Firefox development more closly and spots problems even before the official release. We recently passed the 2000 apps/metadatas milestone and I cant spend more time on FF (and actually I dont like to). Maybe Ice* or guardianproject get to a point where they can maintain one of their ESR based, stable firefox clones within fdroid, so fennec can really be the experimental head… maybe moving to beta releases or nightlies (to spot problems ahead). Don’t know….

… long story short: I cannot guarantee that fx45 builds in time, so i don’t move it out of the archive.

Ildar

Hi, krt,
    I understand the challenge you face.
    But IMHO the “Archive” isn’t obvious place for such things. Maybe it’s worth to introduce some “Alpha” repo?
    Also, could you advise a way to receive notifications about new builds in “Archive”? (I guess there are few, I just don’t know)
    Thanks! and best regards, Ildar

krt

Archive is the only thing I have right now. I agree, we should have a testing/alpha/beta repo, but implementing and maintaing is just to much overhead atm.

Notifications: Go to the repository setting, tick archive, refresh index. Con is, updating the index takes longer, since archive is rather large… or you could watch fdroiddata or https://f-droid.org/wiki/index.php?title=org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid&action=history for changes…

Ildar

tested it for more then a week. Works good, incl. Firefox Sync.
    @krt, thanks for it!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Ildar.

Ildar

@krt, do you think IceCat will dodge the above Firefox’ problems?

krt

IceCat might be somewhat easier to build, because it’s based on ESR releases (38.x atm) — so what I was thinking of is to use fennec for staying close to usptream development and then have it easier to do icecat releases. Btw: We have icecat in the archive for now and most likely matias will maintain it, see https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroiddata/merge_requests/1211

z751

I see it has been like a year that Firefox has this notice. Is the plan to drop it still in effect?

z751

krt

It’s still a long term goal, yes. I cannot give you an ETA, because we dont have one. I’d like to see some changes to the client and server first (pushing information to the user of a specific app), but since nobody seems to work on that, we might have to do the switch without. My two cents: the warning has been there for long enough for everybody to notice, so we should be good… However, when I can nag Ciaran enough to keep it updated, it will stay some time.

z751

@krt

Fennec says it has the tracking anti feature. However when I check the settings I do not see any toggle switch for a tracking feature. Does this app still have any tracking that has not been removed already?

krt

Actually I am not sure. Firefox is to much of a code beast..

mario87

Hi,

why will Firefox be dropped from F-Droid repo? I can’t understand. I never had any issues updating Firefox via. F-Droid.

Or will you remove it because of your fundamentalist stances on open source? Is Firefox not open source enough? Well, that’s the worst decision you can make! Firefox is the closest you can get to open source, and by dropping it from your repo, you will do a huge disservice to Firefox and the whole open source community. People will think open source is just a fundamentalist cult where people fight each other about who’s more “fundamentalist”.

Please do not remove Firefox! I don’t see any reason why dropping Firefox from your repo will improve someone’s life. It’ll just be worse for everyone. People may get hacked because of an outdated Firefox version.

It’s your responsibility! Mozilla is just a web browser developer, and they do a great job! You are app store developers, so you are responsible for updating software, not Mozilla! You are the ones who fail to notice their responsibility, not Mozilla!

CiaranG

Why can’t you just get it from Google Play?

mario87

Google Play is a proprietary service by Google. I want to use as much open source as possible.

I’m using CyanogenMod without GApps. I’ve found for everything an alternative so far. Maps -> OpenStreetMap. Chrome -> Firefox. Google Play -> F-Droid. Mail -> K9 mail. Hangout -> Telegram
    Of course F-Droid only hosts a fraction of what Google Play does. But everything what’s critical, like internet or email, is automatically updated by F-Droid, which minimized the risk of security vulnerabilities on my phone. At least for now… If F-Droid removes Firefox, I will have to use less open source software to get the same functionality. That’s the bitter irony in this case. F-Droid pushes user to proprietary services like Google Play with it’s fundamentalists stances.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘Apps’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Posted in