TextSecure

Forums Submissions Held TextSecure

This topic contains 84 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  optimumpro 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author

mimi89999

moshpirit

What about Signal? why isn’t it on F-droid?

Indus

For the same reasons as TextSecure: The developers do not want distribution outside of the PlayStore and also it contains nonfree components.

moshpirit

What?! F*ck Signal and TextSecure then.

mimi89999

Would you add a renamed version of Signal with nonfree components removed to the official f-droid repo?

moshpirit

Who do you mean by “you”? if it’s me, I’m just an user, so I don’t know about developing Android apps, just the basics of C.

mimi89999

By “you” I mean people accepting apps in F-Droid.

PanderMusubi

I thought I requested that https://github.com/WhisperSystems/Signal-Android was going to be made available on F-Droid too. Turns out there have been huge discussion on that topic. I hope much of the storm has passed and the time is now there to make this happen.

One of the reasons in 2013 was that there were not many users on F-Droid and rapid updates were not possible. In 2016, that is no longer the case. Other reasons also no longer seem to keep standing, mainly that Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) is needed. Without that, only the push function doesn’t work but the app could still be made functionally available on F-Droid. http://support.whispersystems.org/hc/en-us/articles/213190817-Why-do-I-need-Google-Play-installed-to-use-Signal-

For a service that is open source and independent of major players, they should want to be installable in F-Droid without any Google products involved.

krt

We added LibreSignal to the archive repo a while ago, but OWS made their standpoint clear: They will not tollerate 3rd party builds. So it got removed again. Eutopia still provides a fdroid compatible repo that serves it though.

optimumpro

This service is NOT independent from major players. Moxi, in a space of a year or two has turned from someone who was harrassed in airports by TSA into a receipient of many millions of $ from the US government plus lucrative contracts with Facebook. You don’t get that for nothing. Signal contains Google binaries; data goes through Google and their own servers. You can’t use Signal without having Google Services Framework, which renders any protection totally ineffective. Big players will get your outgoing messages before they are encrypted and incoming – after they have been decrypted. One of the real reasons Moxie has dropped SMS encryption, was that it actually worked without Google services, which was unacceptable to his paymasters.

Stay away from anything coming out of Open Whisper Systems. Use Silence (Textsecure fork) for encrypted SMS and Conversations, as a messenger.

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)

The forum ‘Submissions Held’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Posted in