• new: pitch data for readings in katakana
• improved radical dialog
• improved romaji/kana conversion
• fixed crash on android 8
• various improvements & fixes
This is the offline android version of https://jiten.obfusk.dev.
The large download size is because it includes all the dictionary data, including audio.
NB: the app will take a while to load the first time it is started (or after an update), but it will load a lot faster afterwards.
JMDict multilingual japanese dictionary
• kanji, readings (romaji optional), meanings & more
• meanings in english, dutch, german, french and/or spanish
• pitch accent (from Wadoku)
• browse by frequency/jlpt
• readings (romaji optional), meanings (english), jmdict entries, radicals & more
• search using SKIP codes
• search by radical
• browse by frequency/level/jlpt
Example sentences (from Tatoeba)
• with english, dutch, german, french and/or spanish translation
• some with audio
• input a word or sentence and see how it's written
Fine-grained search using regexes (regular expressions)
• simple searches don't require knowledge of regexes
• quick reference available
• Dark mode
• Search history (stored locally)
• Use long press for tooltips: quickly see meanings and readings for kanji and words
• Easily share and open jiten.obfusk.dev links
• Convert romaji to hiragana and between hiragana and katakana
No ads. No trackers. The source code is 100% Free and Open Source (AGPLv3+) and the data is available under Creative Commons or similar licenses (some non-commercial); for details, see https://github.com/obfusk/jiten#readme
To report bugs and request features, please use the issue tracker at
Questions and feedback are welcome at
https://github.com/obfusk/jiten/discussions or email@example.com
Donations are welcome at https://ko-fi.com/obfusk
Although APK downloads are available below to give you the choice, you should be aware that by installing that way you will not receive update notifications and it's a less secure way to download. We recommend that you install the F-Droid client and use that.Download F-Droid
This version requires Android 6.0 or newer.
It is built and signed by F-Droid, and guaranteed to correspond to this source tarball.
have full network access