This app essentially provides the same functionality as opening the https://jiten.obfusk.dev website in a web browser — but with some small advantages (like long press for tooltips).
There is also a completely offline version — named simply "Jiten Japanese Dictionary" — which requires more storage space (and could be slower depending on your device and internet connection). You can install both at the same time if you want.
JMDict multilingual japanese dictionary
• kanji, readings (romaji optional), meanings & more
• meanings in english, dutch, german, french and/or spanish
• pitch accent (from Wadoku)
• browse by frequency/jlpt
• readings (romaji optional), meanings (english), jmdict entries, radicals & more
• search using SKIP codes
• search by radical
• browse by frequency/level/jlpt
Example sentences (from Tatoeba)
• with english, dutch, german, french and/or spanish translation
• some with audio
• input a word or sentence and see how it's written
Fine-grained search using regexes (regular expressions)
• simple searches don't require knowledge of regexes
• quick reference available
• Dark mode
• Search history (stored locally)
• Use long press for tooltips: quickly see meanings and readings for kanji and words
• Easily share and open jiten.obfusk.dev links
• Convert romaji to hiragana and between hiragana and katakana
No ads. No trackers. The source code is 100% Free and Open Source (AGPLv3+) and the data is available under Creative Commons or similar licenses (some non-commercial); for details, see https://github.com/obfusk/jiten#readme and https://github.com/obfusk/jiten-webview#readme
To report bugs and request features, please use the issue tracker at
Questions and feedback are welcome at
https://github.com/obfusk/jiten/discussions or email@example.com
Although APK downloads are available below to give you the choice, you should be aware that by installing that way you will not receive update notifications and it's a less secure way to download. We recommend that you install the F-Droid client and use that.Download F-Droid
This version requires Android 5.0 or newer.
It is built and signed by F-Droid, and guaranteed to correspond to this source tarball.
have full network accessAllows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.